About Me

My photo
A warm welcome to my Blog and my hope is that you find comfort in knowing you are not alone with your Acromegaly.

Friday, August 6, 2010

38 weeks pregnant


Been experiencing contractions but not often enough to head down to the hospital. I am still vomiting and am now feeling more Acro symptoms ie. swollen eye lids, bizarre sensation in my head just to name a few as other symptoms are also related to the pregnancy ie. swollen lips, hands, feet...just lovely hehe.
Results of IGF-1 during pregnancy:
Mar 3rd/2010- 251 ug/l & GH results 1.66
Apr 19th/2010- 210 ug/l
Jul 5th/2010- 307 ug/l
Augt 5th/2010- pending
As a result of my IGF-1 going up it was decided that I will resume my Sandostatin treatment every 3weeks starting mid-september and not wait for the August 5th bloodtest as it takes 1 month for results. I will at least have a few weeks to breastfeed. My husband and I are really ok with the decision as I do not want to fall sick again because I need all my strength to care of our newborn.
I also was told that I am no longer able to use our local clinic to receive my injections. It is no longer in their mandate to offer clients with intramuscular injections that service (I am very very disappointed with that news). They want a family member/friend to inject me (totally out of the question!) or that I pay for a private nurse in that case I can use the clinic. I am in the midst of trying to find the best possible option for me and hopefully the service will be covered by my insurance company. I will keep you posted both with the birth of our daughter and my search for a nurse.
All the best,
Julie

3 comments:

polarchip said...

Hi Julie!! Wow, you look fantastic! You're so big and you have such a beautiful smile on your face :)

Julie S. said...

Hi Ellen. You are too kind. That is the beauty of digital cameras. You can be very selective with the pictures you want.
A few questions for you: how do you administer your injections? Is it given in your buttocks? Do you know of anyone who receives Sandostatin at 20mg anywhere else on their body?
I've been told by my Endo that it has to be given in the buttocks b/c of the amount I'm given. It cannot be administered anywhere else.
Thanks and hope all is well with you.

Trisa said...

Hi Julie,
I am so happy for you and your beautiful pregnancy!! I also have acromegaly, and I am currently trying to get pregnant. We're only been at it for two months, but truly hoping it happens for us. Curious to know how you have been feeling throughout...and what they have beem monitoring with you. I'm on facebook, or you can email me at t.gilgen@rocketmail.com
Thanks, and all the best!!
Trisa